Monday, December 9, 2013

The Ultimate Rice Pudding

Make this simple recipe when you're looking for a warm and comforting snack or dessert.

 I prefer this ovenbaked method of rice pudding to the stovetop version, it is much creamier because of the arborio rice.  

Arborio rice was fairly easy to find in the grocery store,  it is an italian short-grain variety

I have substituted almond milk for a non dairy version, which was just as good. 

I usually double or triple the recipe for my family.

The ultimate comfort food!


Arborio Rice Pudding.

1/3 cup arborio rice
2 cups milk
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons butter
Grated rind of one lemon
2 Tablespoons Strawberry jam (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Butter a 2 L (2 quart) baking dish.

Mix the rice, milk, sugar, butter and lemon rind together in a bowl, pour into the baking dish.

Bake for 2 hours, stirring every 1/2 hour.  On the last stir mix in the strawberry jam, if using. 

Sprinkle with cinnamon before serving, if desired.

Serve warm.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds really good. I think I will have to give it a try during the holidays sometime.

Megan said...

I'm glad you commented Mike, if you do make this you won't be sorry!
Compared to traditional rice pudding, this one is more like the "cozy shack" rice pudding that we both took a fancy to.